The Museum of the sea

Posted on February 20, 2009 by

Vikin is the Reykjavík museum of the Sea; it has been recently founded but it’s already quickly enlarging: it has 5 rooms and in total it has 700sqm area for exhibition. It is situated in the building that once hosted the refrigeration system of the Reykjavík Trawler Company nearby the old harbour, in Grandagadur street.

At the entrance, visitors may observe interesting pictures made by Thorleifur Thorleifsson and his brothers in the bay of Reykjavík. They may also go on board of the Gullfoss, built on 1915, and from its wooden bridge look at the reconstruction of the ocean of that period and compare it to nowadays bay.

It is very interesting the exhibition on the sword fishing and on the process to make oil out of the swords. This oil was very valuable and exported to Denmark where it was used to lighten the streets of Copenaghen. In the museum there are also the fishing boats; there are rooms dedicated to the work of fishermen, to the process of fish conservation in the old days, to the changes occurred in the 1900.

The Óddin vessel is part of this museum, even if located on a wharf separated from the museum, but that may be visited with a guide. This boat has been through many missions and took part to the “War of Codfish” during last century. The Magni tugboat, the first boat in steel built in Iceland, is also located on the wharf by the museum.

Vikin the museum of the sea

Vikin the museum of the sea

Vikin the museum of the sea

Vikin the museum of the sea

Vikin the museum of the sea

Vikin the museum of the sea

Leave a Reply